Fonnesbech was founded on October 26, 1847 when Anders Fonnesbech opened a small shop at Østergade 47 in Copenhagen. Here, in the center of the Danish capital, he began to sell high quality bands, ribbons, and garters. In 1877, Anders Fonnesbech’s oldest son, also named Anders Fonnesbech, became part of the family business. Fonnesbech gradually expanded the business from selling just bands, ribbons, and garters to create exclusive clothes and accessories for women. This was done through Anders Fonnesbech’s own atelier and through import from famous design houses like Lanvin, Balanciaga, and Christian Dior.
While the business grew, Anders Fonnesbech continuously bought the adjoining properties and in 1935 - 1938 he developed the properties into the single coherent modern building it is today. During the 1930’s, 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s Fonnesbech grew into the most exclusive department store in Copenhagen.
Fonnesbech is still placed in the original building and today, Fonnesbech is developing the new collections in the former Fonnesbech restaurant Midi on the fifth floor. The first re-launched collection was presented at the official Copenhagen Fashion Week in August 2014, with the SS15 collection “A” as a tribute to Anders Fonnesbech the first.